Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Diamonds on the souls of their shoes

Diamonds on the souls of their shoes
Words: Thamar Houliston
Photography: Derek Fannin & Roelene Prinsloo






Zanele Batyashe is a dynamic 25-year-old who has a vision and passion for change. The daughter of a political activist, she was the first black head prefect of a fully integrated private school and the first black SRC chairperson in a previously white institution, only to be later headhunted by Procter & Gamble. Needless to say it was no surprise she was chosen as the co-winner of The Apprentice SA. Now that she's working for Mvelaphanda Properties, we caught up with her on site at their Big Bay development on the Cape West Coast.

Where is your home town?
I am very nostalgic about my home town, Kimberley, and it's very close to my heart. Sadly we have one of the highest rates of alcohol abuse and a lot of people have problems which stem from this, but this makes it a "real" place. As I always say people are still living there.


Tell us about your family?
My father was a political activist who died when I was seven, so I grew up in a very strong matriarchal household with three sisters. My mother is a teacher who drummed education into us and taught us to make decisions for ourselves. We have an open and honest family where fickleness and superficiality are frowned upon.

What set you apart from the other contestants on The Apprentice SA?
People click when they are on the same level and I managed to maximise my position with most of the participants on the show. I used my marketing experience as a key differentiating factor. Marketing to me is a skill and trait you can use in almost anything. I decided from the beginning to make myself indispensable. While everyone else focused on technical mastery, I used my emotional intelligence to read people, and I think I was more sensitive to every situation.

What is your relationship with Khomotso like?
We speak at least once a week on the telephone. We were friends on the show and I like to think she is a good friend of mine now. We are definitely going through very different experiences at the moment and we are at very different stages of our lives, but we still manage to help each other out in times of uncertainty.

I believe you have a one-year Contract with Mvelaphanda Properties?
I am working closely with the marketing director of Mvelaphanda Properties. I'm learning, as property is a new industry for me, and I am fortunate that I can learn from great people. I am hoping that this year I will make great contacts and meet a lot of interesting people. The feeling from both sides is that we would like to carry on the relationship for longer than one year.

Who is your ultimate role model?
I don't have role models as much as mentors and people I admire. One person would be my mother as I admire the risks she took by bringing up four daughters on her own. I admire all people who have the will to change things, people who have the courage of their convictions and people who know that leadership is not about being popular as much as taking risks and getting results.

What is your greatest achievement?
I was touched that I was elected as the first black female SRC chairperson in an institution (RAU) that had never had a black individual elected before, and more importantly to be elected by my white male counterparts and to be trusted in a position where I felt I could help to foster change. It was historically profound and etched a path onto my life.

The Apprentice SA tackled issues such as racism, sexism, leadership and teamwork. From your experiences, how do you see the workplace in SA in general? and do you think that we are making headway IN becoming a more integrated workforce?
I think it is sad that we are still congratulating people for employing females I mean things should just be that way naturally. We should be putting women into managing positions where they can actually make decisions and not just fill a quota. On the other hand we are also putting people in positions that they are not qualified for and thereby disempowering them. Personally, in the boardroom, I have not had any problems with sexism � my age is more an issue than gender or race.

No comments: