Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Off the wall

Off the wall

Words: Thamar Houliston
Photography: Tristan McLaren, Brett Rubin and Richard Shorey









Graffiti (from the Italian meaning 'to scratch') originally referred to the inscriptions found on the walls of ancient ruins. In the 20th century graffiti became a medium for political expression and, following post-war urbanisation, a tool for writers to gain attention using public property as a canvas. Popularised by its rise in Philadelphia and the subways of New York in the mid 1960s it was subsequently adopted by gangs who used it to demarcate their territory.

Although omitted from mainstream versions of contemporary art history, graffiti evolved from writing to drawing, reaching a peak in the late ?s, when avant-garde artists like the late Jean-Michel Basquiat continued their work on more 'conventional surfaces'.

Today graffiti artists are conscious of the wall as a medium that allows artists to provide commentary on daily issues.

However, advocates of the 'broken window theory of zero tolerance' believe graffiti encourages vandalism and promotes an environment of crime.

Ricky Lee, CADE, Mak1one and Faith47 are graffiti artists who are willing to tell us exactly where their art 'is at'.

Johannesburg artist Ricky Lee manages Write on Africa - a project designed to rejuvenate the inner city through street art. Supported by the Johannesburg Development Agency, Write on Africa is self-funded, with some sponsorship from the business sector, and is a platform for artists to display their work legally and devoid of negative associations. Ricky Lee has launched a street-wear label, Muthaland, and is planning to import a German brand of spray paint called Montana.

'I wouldn't classify myself as a traditional graffiti artist but rather a street artist influenced by graffiti. Graffiti is a social art and meeting other artists and sharing that passion drives me. A lot of people see graffiti as vandalism and although I don't think that vandalism should be taken lightly, I don't feel our government is clued up enough to know how to deal with the problem. There should be more legal walls � that is why I've taken the initiative to show them a way not to eliminate graffiti but rather use it to rejuvenate the inner city with vibrant murals, encouraging kids to practise instead of just going out to vandalise.'

'Personally I never got a kick out of the illegal stuff like tagging, and have used my energy to find legal ways of putting my name out there, for example I approach caravan owners (like takeaway stands) and get their permission to give their caravans a make-over.'

'Graffiti has reached a level internationally where critics and the public have been exposed to such quality work that they have been convinced that it is art. The graffiti movement is the most active and exciting at the moment and in 10 years time high school students will be learning about the origins of graffiti artists who pushed the boundaries of ability and creativity.'

CADE, based in Durban, has been painting for six years. He works with aerosol on walls and ink on canvas, experimenting with both lettering and characters. A versatile artist, he's inspired by comic books and, in contrast, fine and even abstract art.

Away from the wall he spends a lot of his time at hip-hop parties � hip hop encompasses graffiti as 'one of the four main "elements" the other three being MCing/rapping, DJing and breakdancing'.In true coastal style he is more relaxed about his work.

'It's what I love doing the most, but it's expensive as a can costs anything from R18 to R30.

'I like to think of myself as an artist, but graffiti isn't like conventional art in that it's not about how much money you make. It's more about what you do and who you meet. I don't like to paint alone; it's much better to collaborate with other artists who have different styles and techniques.

'Commercially I do try to get commissioned work, but in Durban everyone thinks we can do murals with left over paint, like we don't need money. I mainly go around and ask home- or business owners with damaged, dirty walls if they would like a mural painted and I get to do pretty much whatever I want artistically on the wall.

'When I started, I followed international artists closely, but now I like a lot of what's coming out of South Africa. We have lots of talented artists who are going places. Graffiti is growing and becoming more popular, but personally I don't really like that you see it everywhere, like on surfer brands, major fashion labels, advertisements on TV and even in magazines.'

'Graffiti is a different lifestyle � away from the norm, and there are a different set of values associated with it � people are naturally inclined towards the vandalism aspect, and I suppose it is a part of what makes graffiti, graffiti.'

Mak1one grew up in Mitchell's Plain � the Michaelis of South Africa's graffiti scene � and it was inevitable that he would be influenced by the graffiti on the streets where he grew up. At school he took conventional art classes but graffiti was an outlet which allowed him freedom from convention.

As part of the Write on Africa team, he's displayed his work at the Karoo Kunstefees for three years in a row, done murals in Athlone to celebrate 10 years of democracy and, in 2004, he travelled to Greece to prepare the city for the Olympics (two artists from every country were commissioned to paint walls around the city in preparation for the games).

Recently he performed live at the 9644 Castle event in Cape Town. Organised by Ogilvy and Mather, it was held inside massive aeroplane hangars � a perfect platform for the use of graffiti.

'I used to only be inspired by simple things � people or ordinary encounters, poetry, architecture and things that you see every day � but as I've progressed I've realised that graffiti can have substance. Now I really like doing murals that uplift schools and the community and educate the youth. It's also a powerful way of highlighting and commenting on what's happening in South Africa at the moment.'

Cape Town-based Faith47, has been involved in a number of commercial and community-based projects. Strongly involved in South African social and political issues like women's rights, she's passionate about art uplifting communities, and is the only female on the Write on Africa team. She works with all forms of media � murals, photography, canvas and print.

'I'm constantly multi-tasking jobs. In January I was part of an all-female exhibition which took place in Sweden. Recently, I've been part of the Red Bull street style crew, was involved with the Daddylonglegs concept hotel and worked on a collaborative animation project for National Geographic. I'm currently designing a campaign for a telecommunications company, and a friend and I are putting together a design studio called Mattblack.'

'Myself and Mak1one are focused on doing productions that are aesthetically pleasing and provide a caring message. We aim to educate, uplift and inspire. Graffiti has two faces and we try to promote the positive, doing work that raises the standards and perceptions of it. My work is also for the person on the street, giving passers-by something they can take home with them.

'As an artist, Africa's culture and people inspire me � her cities, rural towns, and her politics. Also things like subtle gestures that go unnoticed, textures,colours, unconventional beauty, silence, noise, pain, happiness, freedom, freshness � they all contribute to this. My roots are in Africa and my inspiration and passion comes from here. It's always foremost on my mind and I think my work reflects this naturally.'

No comments: